One of my absolute favorite things I like to do is visit the flower market once (or even twice) a week to pick up fresh flowers. I like to go early in the morning, around 7-7:30 am, to beat the crowd around 10 but really to get the best flowers.
The L.A. flower district in downtown is the best place to get flowers at such an inexpensive price plus it’s such a treat being surrounded by so many pretty little flowers… it’s always an instagram moment for me! It might be a little overwhelming when you first visit because there’s dozens & dozens of vendors but if you go often, like I do, you’ll quickly learn who the best vendors are. Trust, you won’t be disappointed.
Tips (to visiting the flower district/market)
- Arrive early (anywhere between 7:00-8:30am). You’ll avoid big crowds, not finding parking and best of all, you’ll get first dibs on picking the freshest flowers!
- Have a checklist of the flowers you’re looking for. Otherwise, you’ll waste time going around in circles.
- Have cash. Most of these vendors only take cash so come cash ready. Don’t fret, there’s usually an ATM machine outside but I wouldn’t rely on them as they often are out of service. So come prepared with cash.
- Wear flat shoes. Try avoiding wearing heels as the floors tend to be slippery because it’s wet. You don’t want to slip and fall.
- Lastly, bring a little cart with wheels (if you’re buying a lot of flowers) or a bag like the one I’m wearing in this post, a tote bag works too. This will come in handy to put the flowers in. Before I learned to bring a bag, I used to go without one and boy did I struggle. I would buy between 3-5 bundles of flowers and would have to carry them in my hand making it hard to check out anything else.
- One last tip…. take photos! They make the prettiest photos!
Making flower arrangements is definitely one of my hobbies. It helps me feel inspired and keeps me calm if I’m feeling stressed out. I’m really considering opening a cute little flower shop in the future… I’m dreaming BIG!